Question:

From Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA:

I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and started on Glucophage XR [metformin] at bedtime. I have been monitoring my glucose (fasting and postprandial) and have found that my fasting blood sugar is higher than my blood sugar at bedtime. What could possibly cause this to happen?

Answer:

This is a commonly asked question, and there is a straightforward reason for this. One of the key metabolic abnormalities is an increase in the amount of glucose your liver puts out over the night. When the liver is underinsulinized, the glucose level will be elevated. That is the reason the fasting glucose level is so carefully watched.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2