Question:

From Cambridge, Ontario, Canada:

My eight year old daughter who has type 1 diabetes seems to have lost her appetite, which makes things difficult and frustrating. We were doing quite well with her eating, but recently she will not eat and tells me she isn't hungry, and is not sick. I asked her doctor if there is anything I can do to stimulate her appetite but the answer was no. He thinks that this disinterest in eating might be change of age (puberty), said but I am not sure I am satisfied with this answer. If you can offer any suggestions I would really be thankful.

Answer:

I really understand your concern regarding your daughter's the eating habits. Besides looking at her current symptoms, I'd check for the actual degree of metabolic control as judged by the hemoglobin A1c. If this is fine, as a further step, you can talk to a psychologist to assess whether there is any suspect of eating disorders. Ask her doctor for a referral to a diabetes team with experience in adolescent eating disorders.

[Editor's comment: Perhaps, her meal plan is too much for her right now. I'd suggest that your and your daughter meet with a dietitian to assure her current meal plan meets her food preferences, and is optimal for growth and development along with blood glucose control. Her insulin can then be adjusted to match a new meal plan.

It is important that all treatment regimens be individualized. Children need to be kids first; not diabetics but children who happen to have diabetes. SS]