Question:

From Texas, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes treated with pills and I work for an industrial construction company as an accountant. My employer has approached me regarding interest in transferring me to the field. In our industry, this means being employed within the confines of a chemical plant (refinery). Does employment within a chemical plant (refinery) pose any particular health problems for a person with diabetes?

Answer:

The only employment concerns I know of related to diabetes occur if your blood sugar is poorly controlled (especially low blood sugar reactions) and you were, for example, operating dangerous machinery or flying an airplane.

JS

Posted to Other Social Issues