Question:

From Nottingham, England:

My husband has type 2 diabetes, and over a long period of time, he has become very angry with everything in his life. He threatens, shouts, is abusive, violent, paranoid, aggressive, and depressed. He has become so different, angry all of the time, which then becomes abusive to encourage you to disagree. He becomes like a lion on the prowl until he can find something to explode in a rage about, then he will start throwing things out.

When he did not have a good day at work, he came home, ripped his shirt off (taking no time to unbutton it), and threw it in the trash. If I ask how his is lunch is on these occasions, he will jump off the table hurling abuse and then take his plate and cutlery and throw in the trash. Then there are things like: he will only eat with same knife and fork, and all the light switches must be pointing the same way. He has held my throat and pushed me into the wall. This happens from being okay one moment to things like this in about 10 seconds.

Nothing is nothing in his life is any good, not ever. Everything is a down side, nothing can be happy. He thinks everyone is against him, and they are plotting to get him in trouble. At work, no one will work with him because he is not sociable there. My husband cannot see he is doing any of this so I am really trying to find something that would help.

Answer:

This is not normal behavior, and I recommend you get him to see a metal health professional which may be difficult to do. However, if he loves you and wants to avoid hurting you, this may be a very important to both of you.. It may be made worse by diabetes. However, this kind of uncontrolled anger is destructive for both of you.

Posted to Behavior