From Miami, Florida, USA:

I take Lente before I go to bed, and always check my blood before I inject. It was 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L] so I gave 3 units, did not have a snack, and the next morning my blood sugar was 197 mg/dl [10.9 mmol/L]. This has happened many times. I checked my meter, and it was okay. Can you explain why my blood sugar would go up instead of down?

One of the major metabolic problems in diabetes is the actual production of glucose by the liver during the night. The liver is capable of making glucose and storing it for later release. With diabetes, there is an inappropriate suppression of the liver glucose output resulting in fasting hyperglycemia. The usual direction of treatment is to increase the amount of insulin the liver is exposed to in order to turn down the amount of glucose released.