From Whipple, Ohio, USA:

When my six year old started school he would either cry or laugh for no reason when his blood sugar got low which was good because then the teachers aid knew that he needed help. However, the other children laughed, and then he would get upset. Then all of a sudden, he started acting silly, rolling out of his seat, and dancing and seems to not be able to control this behavior. I know this behavior is related to his diabetes, but the school don't agree and is treating it as a bad behavior problem. Do you have a list of behavior problems other then the standard one listed in most of the information about diabetes?

I know that you know your child better than anyone else, but I am wondering if it would be useful to have him evaluated for ADHD. I am not certain that the overwhelming behavior is strictly associated with his blood sugar alone. In such a young child on a pump, all options should be investigated. As a child grows, things do change.

Posted to Behavior and School and Daycare