Question:

From California, USA:

I went in for a physical exam during which the doctor told me that I was slightly diabetic so I have been going to the same doctor for the last year and a half. (My glucose was 106 mg/dl [5.9 mmol/L], and my A1c was 5.5%.) Seven months ago, my fasting blood sugar was 88 mg/dl [4.9 mmol/L], and my A1c was 5.3%.

My husband went with me to the doctor who told him he was borderline as well. His fasting was 113 mg/dl [6.3 mmol/L], this time time it was 93 mg/dl [5.2 mmol/L], and his A1c was 5.1%. The doctor said he's fine now, and there is nothing wrong with him but still wants to see me every six months.

When my husband asked the doctor why he puts me at high alert, the doctor said because I have family members with diabetes. I answered, and said my husband has family as well. He also said that If I don't watch my weight I will develop diabetes. So I asked him if I have diabetes, but he said nothing!

Since then I've also had a health insurance physical where they found did not find diabetes. My fasting blood sugar was 104 mg/dl [5.8 mmol/L], and my A1c was 5.4%. When I test myself in the morning, my blood sugar is normal, I do watch my eating and exercise every day! Where do I stand? Should I look for another doctor? Is there something wrong with me?

Answer:

If you want to be absolutely sure where you stand, then perhaps you should have a two-hour glucose challenge test after drinking a 75 gram concentrated glucose solution. Your doctor can send you to a laboratory to do this test which will tell you whether you have prediabetes or diabetes. Some people pass the fasting blood test (after fasting for eight hours) but do not pass the 75 gram glucose challenge.

JS

[Editor's comment: I don't see any numbers here that match definitions of diabetes (see Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. You are at risk, based on family history, and perhaps also your weight, and of course as you get older, the risk will get higher. If your physician is not able to explain why he is making the diagnosis of diabetes, consider asking for a referral to a diabetes specialist. WWQ]