From Houston, Texas, USA:

Several close family members have diabetes, so I keep a close watch on my glucose, but do not need to test every day. You have excellent recommendations as to meters which permit Alternate Site Testing, which I would like. I note, however, that some of these only provide test strips which are not individually wrapped and thus have a short "shelf life." Do any meters which permit alternate site testing have individually wrapped test strips?

As of March 2003, meters that are FDA approved for alternate site testing and which have individually wrapped strips include the Ascensia Elite [previously called the Glucometer Elite], Ascensia Elite XL [previously called the Glucometer Elite XL], and Sof-Tact. The Ascensia Dex [previously called the Glucometer Dex] and Accu-Chek Compact use a disk or drum that contains multiple test strips, though each strip is individually sealed. (All 17 tests per drum of the Accu-Chek Compact must be performed within 90 days.)

[Editor's comment: Bayer, the manufacturer of some of the meters mentioned above, has recently replaced their previous name "Glucometer" with the name "Ascensia". WWQ]