Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

Several close family members have diabetes, so I keep a close watch on my glucose, but do not need to test every day. You have excellent recommendations as to meters which permit Alternate Site Testing, which I would like. I note, however, that some of these only provide test strips which are not individually wrapped and thus have a short "shelf life." Do any meters which permit alternate site testing have individually wrapped test strips?

Answer:

As of March 2003, meters that are FDA approved for alternate site testing and which have individually wrapped strips include the Ascensia Elite [previously called the Glucometer Elite], Ascensia Elite XL [previously called the Glucometer Elite XL], and Sof-Tact. The Ascensia Dex [previously called the Glucometer Dex] and Accu-Chek Compact use a disk or drum that contains multiple test strips, though each strip is individually sealed. (All 17 tests per drum of the Accu-Chek Compact must be performed within 90 days.)

JSH

[Editor's comment: Bayer, the manufacturer of some of the meters mentioned above, has recently replaced their previous name "Glucometer" with the name "Ascensia". WWQ]