Question:

From Port Charlotte, Florida, USA:

Can you please give me some pre-bed snack ideas for a picky four year old besides cheese and crackers and peanut butter?

Answer:

For a picky four year old eater, I would suggest unsweetened cereal and low-fat milk, low carb yogurt, a small amount of no sugar added ice cream, or a small fruit smoothy made with milk and fruit. Snack burnout is a common problem with kids, especially after they have been subjected to the "peanut butter/cheese and crackers" monotony. The most important things to keep in mind -- moderation, variety, and a protein source included with the carb.

JMS

[Editor's comment: Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin a great reference for managing a four year old with diabetes. SS]

DTQ-20030331233747C