Question:

From Surrey, England:

I am an average-weight 17 year old girl, and have otherwise been healthy, but for the past three weeks, I have been extremely thirsty (drinking over five quarts of water a day). I have also lost several pounds in weight (despite increased hunger and eating more than usual) and been very tired and lethargic. When I went to the doctor as soon as the symptoms began, I was told that my urine sample and fasting glucose were normal. The doctor also tested urine osmolarity, thyroid and liver, all of which were normal. My doctor does not know what it might be.

Could this still be diabetes? If not, what else is possible?

Answer:

With symptoms like yours I would be doing a hemoglobin A1c and quite probably a glucose tolerance test which tests ability to handle a glucose load. It's also important to have a urine culture to check for infection.