From Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

Apparently, my son is allergic to Humalog. This is usually a local reaction at the injection site in the form or redness and or slight swelling.When we receive a new vial the doctor has injected a small amount of steroids into it. How much does this affect the absorption of the insulin? Are there other methods of treatment?

I would desensitize rather than switch insulins. I would also use a pediatric allergist to do this other docs aren't qualified. I have no experience putting steroids in the insulin vial, and I would expect the companies would just say no as they have no data. In addition, the FDA would frown on such practice.

[Editor's comment: See a previous question about insulin allergy desensitization protocols. SS]

Posted to Insulin Analogs