Question:

From Hartland, Maine, USA:

The nurse at my son's school isn't there all the time because she goes to all of the schools in the district, and neither teacher nor the secretary are not comfortable learning how to use glucagon or testing his urine if he is high. I don't feel comfortable sending him there since they don' t know what to do if he needs help. What should I do about this?

Answer:

The law requires that someone in the school be trained to take care of your son's diabetes needs in the absence of a school nurse/ However, thismay exclude using a Glucagon Emergency Kit.

I suggest that you request a meeting to establish a 504 Plan for your son which would outline the school's responsibilities with regard to his diabetes management.

SS

Posted to School and Daycare