Question:

From Canada:

My father, who is over 60 years old, is overweight, has type 1 diabetes, and is not looking after himself. He continues to drink alcohol, eats whatever he wants, and does not check sugars regularly. He had a blood sugar of 20 mmol/L [360 mg/dl]. Is this dangerous? What are the consequences? How can I convince him to follow a diet, etc.?

Answer:

Your father has a number of serious health risks: uncontrolled diabetes, being overweight, drinking alcohol. You can get lots of information about how to take control of diabetes from the American Diabetes Association and the Canadian Diabetes Association, but first your father has to want to change his behavior and want to take care of himself. Perhaps you should try to get him to go for counseling.

JS

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2