From London, England:

My sister has had diabetes for over 10 years, and is taking insulin. Her hand is dry, bumpy, and feels as if the nerve ends are exposed.It is extremely painful, and she can't use the hand. Why?

It sounds as if this is only one hand and not both. Although nerve complications [neuropathy] from diabetes can involve only one hand, it is more common to have both involved with diabetes. It sounds like she needs more evaluation to look for the cause. It is unclear to me what the cause would be. Please have her see a physician for further care.