From Pine Brook, New Jersey, USA:

I have gestational diabetes, and within the last two days I started my diet and checking my blood glucose level four times a day. I My fasting readings have been 100-110 mg/dl [5.6-6.1 mmol/L], and my after lunch readings have been 95-96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L]. Do you think these readings are okay? Should the fasting reading be lower? Do I need to take insulin?

The after meal values are excellent. The fasting values are a little elevated. I recommend that the fasting blood sugar be in the 90-95 mg/dl [5-5.3 mmol/L] range. However, you do not need insulin at this time. Some adjustment of your diet may improve the fasting blood sugar level. Continue to check your blood sugars as you have and follow-up with your physician.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes