Question:

From an RN in Atkinson, New Hampshire, USA:

My 17 year old niece, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about four months ago, will be 18 in a month, and has been accepted at a state college in the fall. She is currently an honors student and will definitely be going to school full time. She and her family live in the Syracuse, New York area, and she and her sisters are covered by (I believe) NY Medicaid. Her mother is fearful that she will lose this coverage when she turns 18 and is looking into this. Any help you can provide is deeply appreciated.

Answer:

Unfortunately, there are no websites that I know of that answer questions regarding Medicaid coverage at a level that will be helpful to you. The family needs to meet with their social services representative in their home county to learn what the impact of the leaving home for college will mean to her health benefits.

DSH

DTQ-20030412150231A
Posted to Insurance/Costs