From Northville, Michigan, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, have been on Glucophage for a month, and my meter readings have been 106-115 mg/dl [5.8-6.4 mmol/L] before medication and before breakfast. I am deeply depressed about my condition, and I would be grateful for any positive comments or advice as soon as possible. Can I consider my diabetes mild? Is it possible that I may not need the Glucophage in the near future?

I am happy your blood sugars are under better control. This is a big step toward better health. As far as grading the type of diabetes, I would suggest that it is mild currently. However, type 2 diabetes can change over the course of a lifetime. What is easy to control now may be more difficult to control later on. The best insurance toward good health in the future is to lead a healthy lifestyle and maintain good blood sugar control.

In general, the only way I would discontinue the Glucophage [metformin] would be if you lost a lot of weight and could maintain good sugar control without the medication. Otherwise, it is best to maintain the medicine. I like to think that you are better off for having your diabetes diagnosed and treated appropriately. If you are attentive to your health, you can do what you like. Keep your chin up and keep going.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2