Question:

From Lake View, Iowa, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about five months ago. How long will it be before she is able to start using an insulin pump? What are some indications that she would be ready to use a pump?

Answer:

The timing of starting an insulin pump in a school aged child (and indeed whether to start a pump at all) requires an understanding of carbohydrate/insulin ratios and corrective doses as well as for the child and school to be willing to take responsibility for many aspects of diabetes care. I would start by making sure you and your family learn how to do carbohydrate counting, ratios and corrective doses. This may offer you enough flexibility and control to get by without the additional hassles and vigilance of adding an insulin pump.

If after taking these steps, you still feel that the pump will be an important way of optimizing your daughter's diabetes management, then discuss the possibility with your daughter's endocrinologist. I would recommend finding a team that has experience with pumps in school-aged children because they will be able to adjust your child's doses properly and give you advice on issues related to "pumping" in school.

LAD

Posted to Insulin Pumps