Question:

From Tualatin, Oregon, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes treated with oral hypoglycemic agents, I am trying to lose weight, and I received a bottle of fat dissolver (which contains chromium, Dinicofinate glycinate, green tea leaf extract, DL-phenylalamine, appestat from green tea leaf, galangal rhizome, and Cinnamon twig). Is this safe to take with my diabetes medications?

Answer:

They are probably okay. However, nutritional supplements, such as the one you highlight, are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration. As a result, there is no test of potency, purity, or efficacy. I would be skeptical that it would be effective.

[Editor's comment: Also, see Herbs and other Supplements, at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]