From Boston, Massachusetts, USA:

My blood glucose control is good (hemoglobin A1c: 5-7%), but I am having problems with urinary tract infections. For the past six months, my urine has been cloudy, and it's very painful to urinate. Six months ago, I was diagnosed with a UTI and put on a one-week course of antibiotics, but since then, I have been in pain. About two months later, I was first told that I didn't have a UTI, but then the doctor called the next day to say I did. He said I had so much water to drink so that he couldn't recognize the infection with the stick test. I went to the doctors again a month ago and they told me I didn't have a UTI, but my urine is still cloudy and urination is still painful.

I am sick of visiting the doctor (in pain) and hearing that I don't have an infection. I have seen a specialist, but I haven't been given answers to my questions, and I am wondering if the diabetes could be playing a role. Is it possible that the infection is very mild but not traced?

If you are having symptoms of a urine infection, but your urine does not grow out bacteria when cultured, there are two things to think of:

1. Chronic yeast infection that gives you symptoms of pain and burning on urination.
  2. A rare, poorly understood inflammatory condition called interstitial cystitis. This condition is usually diagnosed with cystoscopy (looking directly into the bladder with a special scope).

If you are having continued unexplained pain, I suggest you consult a urologist for further evaluation. Pain specialists also sometimes treat this condition when diagnosed, but only a urologist would look directly into the bladder.