Question:

From Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA:

My husband has type 1 diabetes, recently had a kidney removed because of cancer, and his kidney function dropped from 108% to 85%. His doctors want him to go on insulin pump thinking that it will help control his diabetes and help regain some of his residual kidney function. However, he is a mechanic, and we were wondering if a pump will get in the way or get broken.

Answer:

I can attest to the idea that many people with a variety of physical jobs wear insulin pumps. I think he can do this with the appropriate education and care. It is true that good blood sugar control is important in decreasing the risk of kidney involvement from diabetes.

[Editor's comment: See Is pumping for you?. SS]

Posted to Insulin Pumps