Question:

From Colorado, USA:

The doctor in the hospital decided that I needed to be on insulin again and put me on Lantus because my sugars were high. Since I have been home, my legs have been swollen from thighs to ankles. I have only been on the Lantus about a week, and the swelling did not occur when I was in the hospital. My legs are fine at night but it seems the more I am on them, the bigger they get. I am not sure of the side effects of this type of insulin. If this is one of them, I can manage. If not, what could this mean? What should I do?

Answer:

The initiation of any type of insulin may result in water retention, and is generally short-lived but may have to be treated with the help of a water pill [diuretic] or support stockings. This is not specific to Lantus (insulin glargine). Please let your physician know this is a problem so your need for any additional treatment can be assessed.

Posted to Insulin Analogs