Question:

From Virginia, USA:

Recently, I read an article that said blood sugar levels could be tested using one's saliva, and I had never heard of this. Is it actually happening? Is it still in the research stages? How close are we to a solid, reliable replacement for invasive blood sugar testing?

Answer:

It's a tempting idea, but it looks as though someone thought of it some years ago, and the correspondence between salivary and blood sugar is not reliable enough for controlling blood sugars. See Salivary composition in diabetic patients. Ben-Aryeh H, Cohen M, Kanter Y, Szargel R, Laufer D. J Diabet Complications 1988 Apr-Jun;2(2):96-9.