From Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada:

My 16 year old nephew's dad believes he is supposed to allow him to eat all he wants and then treat with insulin according to his blood sugar readings! He eats white bread, drinks pop, and whole boxes of cereal all at once, and full boxes of crackers as well. I'm not familiar with the do's and don'ts of diabetes, but this seems excessive to me. Could you possibly provide suggestion or two as what to do about his diet?

I would suggest that your nephew may benefit from talking with a dietitian involved with a diabetes team who can help appropriately direct better food choices -- which may also improve his blood sugar control.