Question:

From the USA:

I have poorly controlled type 2 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and a spinal injury that makes exercise impossible. I am currently on two oral agents that are not working well, and they gave me insulin twice, but I had a severe reaction both times.

I have discussed this with my physician (an internist) who wants me to have stomach bypass surgery to lose weight to return my blood sugars to normal levels, but I have less than 80 pounds that I need to lose. So I think this is rather drastic.

Answer:

I think you should exhaust a few more possibilities before considering gastric bypass surgery. Have you worked with an exercise trainer or physical therapist to help you exercise safely and effectively to lose weight and lower blood sugar? Have you met with a dietitian? There are four categories of diabetes pills so perhaps another type of pill can be added to the two you are already taking. One last idea, have you seen an endocrinologist? If not, now may be the time to get another opinion.

JS

DTQ- ONCEMRM20030323
Posted to Weight and Weight Loss