From Carmel, New York, USA:

Over the last week, we noticed our five year old daughter frequenting the bathroom and being thirsty, and two nights ago, I noticed the distinct sweet smell on her breath. I have had type 2 diabetes and have been dealing effectively with diabetes for over 20 years so I was familiar with the symptoms she was having. I immediately began testing her sugar which have been 90-165 mg/dl [ 5-9.1 mmol/L]. As the tests are hard for her to deal with, I haven't done a fasting. She and I have never been overweight.

I am wondering whether this could be the beginning of type 1 and in the honeymoon phase or if she is experiencing type 2. I am eager to be able for her to avoid insulin shots if possible, but I am ready to deal with whatever plan the doctor charts out for us.

This sounds like the beginning of diabetes. In a young child such as this, you need to contact your physician immediately (today) and get this checked out (today) without any delay so that she does not get dehydrated or go into ketoacidosis. If she is not obese then unfortunately this is likely type 1 diabetes and insulin injections will be needed.