Question:

From Ontario, Canada:

My six year old daughter, who has had type 1 diabetes for two years, is taking 5 units of NPH with 4 units of Regular in the morning, 0.5 units of NovoRapid for every 25 grams of carb and at dinner, and 3 units of NPH at bedtime. I have been told this is little insulin for her size (50 pounds). We seem to have much success when her diet is followed properly, but she loves food. I have read some on the pump, but it seems that it is not necessarily a good time to start at her age, and her doctors have said that is down the road sometime. Can you suggest another regimen of care that would give her more flexibility with regard to eating when she wants?

Answer:

Your daughter would greatly benefit in terms of blood sugar stability as well for an easier flexibility with eating from using Lantus (insulin glargine) at bedtime with NovoRapid after meals based on how much carb she has eaten. It's a very good insulin and recently its indications have been extended from adults to children as well. Ask your diabetes team for further in switching from the current regimen to this new one.