Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

My daughter is 1 1/2 years old and is on Humalog and Lantus. Everything I read on Lantus says it is not approved for children under 6. What is your feeling on this?

Answer:

Lantus (insulin glargine) is used by many pediatric diabetologists for all patients even though it is not technically approved by the FDA for children under age 6. There are many medications used in such a fashion with the decision based upon how the insulin works for each individual child based upon hemoglobin A1c results, glucose control on a day to day basis, treatment goals mutually agreed upon by family/parents and diabetes team, etc. Our team commonly uses Lantus once or twice a day even in very young children coupled with boluses of analogs (usually Humalog but more recently also NovoLog) for postprandial coverage. We strive for the best A1c possible (goal is less than 7.0%) with the least amount of hypoglycemia.

Posted to Insulin Analogs