From Whitstable, Kent, England:

I am 16 years old, and for a while, I have noticed that I seem to drink more than other people consider 'normal'. More recently, I have been having periods of extreme fatigue and tiredness. I have little to no breakfast, because there is usually not enough time before school. I then catch a bus to school, I fell very tired on the bus and often fall asleep. I do not usually eat much for lunch, a typical meal would be a hamburger, a drink and a donut. I feel better for around an hour and a half, but as the school day closes I am feeling extremely thirsty and fatigued. I hang around with friends for around an hour, and during this time I usually have a sugary drink which obviously solves the thirst problem, and seems to help with the tiredness. When I arrive home, I usually watch TV or use my computer for the rest of the evening.

Does this sound like I have diabetes? I have been trying to get an appointment with a doctor for the last two weeks through a friend I trust, but this has not yet happened. What should I say to the doctor? How would a diagnosis affect my life?

I think that it would be a mistake to worry about the possible effects of diabetes on your life before any diagnosis has been made. Your doctor will probably allay your anxieties by getting a fasting blood sugar level.

At the same time, your story does hint at a life with very little exercise and a diet that may be high in fat and carbohydrate so that if there is a family history of type 2 diabetes you might be a candidate to follow in their footsteps.