Question:

From St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada:

My son has been experiencing high blood sugars with moderate activity, but I thought that his sugar levels would go down with increased activity. I have been logging the blood sugar with activity and once in awhile it is low. How do I know if I should adjust his insulin for activity? Is it common for blood sugar levels to go up with activity?

Answer:

Glucose levels may go up if control is not as good as it should be. The other possibility is that you are overcompensating for exercise by giving too much carbohydrate. It is worth seeing your son's diabetes team and talking this over with them.

JS

[Editor's comment: Often times, blood sugar will rise during activity because of adrenalin that is produced. SS]

Posted to Exercise and Sports