Question:

From Medford, Wisconsin, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for eight years, and I recently have been having problems with intimacy. When my significant other ejaculates, my body rejects it. We've been trying to have kids for about four months and it just isn't working. Does this mean I can't have kids? Can you give me some advice? Can diabetes cause you not to have children?

Answer:

The problem of intimacy and fertility can be different issues. If you are having trouble getting pregnant, I would suggest you speak with your physician about this. The first issue is whether you are ovulating regularly. This would mean knowing whether your periods are normal. You should also have had an exam. Your intimacy with your partner is another issue. I do not know why you are having feelings like that. These would be issues you should share with your physician. Diabetes, by itself, is not a reason to not be able to have children.

Posted to Family Planning