Question:

From Three Oaks, Michigan, USA:

During my first pregnancy three years ago, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 28 weeks, put on insulin ( NPH with Regular at breakfast, Regular at dinner, and NPH before bed), and my blood sugar was under excellent control. However, I was on an extremely strict and rigid schedule. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant and do not have gestational diabetes, but I am being monitored very closely and expecting to develop gestational diabetes during this pregnancy.

My now two and a half year old son has type 1 diabetes, so it will be hard to keep such a rigid schedule for myself as I did previously. Are there a any other insulins I could use that are safe during pregnancy? My son uses Lantus at night and Humalog after meals. Could I do that too? What about pills for gestational diabetes?

Answer:

Management of gestational diabetes starts with diet. If that does not work, then the choices are an oral hypoglycemic agent (glyburide) or insulin, and most physicians use a combination of NPH with Regular. However, Humalog is being used more frequently. Lantus (insulin glargine) is still new and is not used much if at all in pregnancy. Just because you had gestational diabetes in your first pregnancy, does not mean that you will develop it during this pregnancy.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes