Question:

From Chester, New York, USA:

I am 17 years old, have type 1 diabetes treated with an insulin pump, and I'm in good control. Would getting a small tattoo on my back affect the pump site which is close to where I would get the tattoo?

Answer:

If you are having the tattoo done with appropriate sterile technique and don't get any scarring or infections, then the tattoo is probably okay. I wouldn't suggest placing the catheter in the tattoo area in general but suspect that there is absolutely no scientific information available about interactions between tattoo dyes and insulin -- better to stay way from that area.