From Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA:

I am concerned about a nine year girl who is somewhat overweight and has a dark ring around her neck. I read somewhere that this is a sign of diabetes in kids. Can you tell me if this information is true?

What you are probably describing and recall reading about is a darkening of the skin that typically occurs around the neck or underarms or even other places where skin tends to rub on skin. This is called Acanthosis Nigricans and is often seen in individuals who have excess insulin levels -- usually because their bodies are not responding to insulin efficiently. This type of insulin resistance not uncommonly progresses to type 2 diabetes.

Please relay your concerns to the school nurse or parent to relay to the child's pediatrician.