Question:

From Edwardsville, Illinois, USA:

What are the best selections of anti-depressants for a teenager with type 1 diabetes? I have heard that some of them may cause high sugar levels.

Answer:

From a practical position and as a diabetologist, I prefer to use the serotonin reuptake inhibitors [also called SSRIs] because they are the easiest to use. They have fewer side effects than tricyclics. However, once patients are titrated above moderate levels of these drugs, I prefer these patients are seen by a psychiatrist. Some have to use high doses and other combinations of medications. Because of the complexity of the problem, these patients need close follow-up. I understand my answer is vague, but depression has a very broad spectrum of severity.

Posted to Other Medications