Question:

From Cairo, Egypt:

I saw a product on the net called Injex which is used for insulin injection without a needle. It depends on the infusion of the insulin subcutaneously. Would you please advise as to the safety of using this device?

Answer:

The Injex is a German made springloaded needlefree injection device which uses separate ampoules for each injection and can be used for a variety of drugs including insulin. We have not had an opportunity to use it, and I believe that it is not yet approved by the FDA. However, there have been a variety of similar devices in the past which were expensive, often hard to maintain, and sometimes producing significant discomfort on injection. For the present, I think that you might do better with an FDA approved device. See Syringes and Injection Products.

Additional comments from David Mendosa, A Writer on the Web:

I tested an early model a few years back. When it went off, t he sound and pressure of the injector scared me and my wife during the testing. the heck out of my wife and I when we tested it on ourselves. See my page on jet injectors.

DM