Question:

From Wilmington, North Carolina, USA:

I currently give my daughter Humalog based on a sliding scale and the amount of carb she wants at meal time, and most of the time she has good numbers, but I've recently been advised to give the same amount of insulin, no matter what the numbers are, and adjust the carb intake depending on numbers, and presently she's averaging 140-l70 mg/dl [7.8- 9.4 mmol/L] on the sliding scale.

Answer:

It's difficult to know why you would be advised to do something to give you less not more flexibility. You should go back and discuss this with your daughter's diabetes team and understand their rationale.