From Malaysia:

My husband has typeá2 diabetes diagnosed about six months ago, and he is now on Amaryl [glimepiride] and Avandia [rosiglitazone], but his sugar level (8-10 mmol/L [144-180 mg/dl]) is still high before breakfast and after lunch (11-13 mmol/L [198-234 mg/dl]. In addition, has lost a lot of weight, and is not fat.

Clearly, your husband is not adequately treated for his diabetes. The sugars you describe are way too high. It may be that he has a form of typeá1 diabetes that will require insulin. Either way, he is heading toward insulin since both the drugs described have not been successful in controlling his sugars. When sugars are not well controlled, glucose is lost in the urine. The glucose is a source of calories and is part of the reason for the weight loss. It is like the body is starving for nourishment in the face of plenty.

His physician may need to consider insulin therapy to get his sugars down, allow him to gain weight, and bring back his strength. I hope his health returns very fast.

Posted to Daily Care and LADA