Question:

From St Louis, Missouri, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for about nine years, have been on my pump for about eight to nine months now, and I am considering switching from Humalog (pumping) to NovoLog (pumping). I am curious, and would like to know about, the relevant differences in the effect that this change might imply. I have heard that Novolog is more predictable in terms of its peaks, and "lifespan", but I also note that the peak period is longer than in Humalog, which would seem to indicate a period when there is un-matched curves between blood glucose and insulin. Since it takes longer to become noticeable, doesn't that then mean that there is a period of disparity?

I'm looking for some guidance, and direction. I understand the value of fast-acting pump-delivered insulin, but am wanting to compare/select between Humalog and NovoLog.

Answer:

My honest feeling is that there is little difference between Humalog and NovoLog. NovoLog may have a slightly shorter duration of action. This is not important with basal insulin but may have some effect with bolus results. In studies done to date, I am not aware that there were significant differences in overall control. I would say try it and see if it is better for you. As a rule, I am not touting big differences between the two analogs.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and Insulin Analogs