From Buffalo, New York, USA:

My son is using multiple daily injections of Lantus (insulin glargine) and Humalog, and I know that the Insulin pump offers the best control. Has there been a study comparing the A1cs of patients using Lantus and Humalog versus those on the pump?

Many studies. Most show equal results with basal/bolus regimens and insulin pumps as long as lots of blood glucose tests are done and analysis occurs of these results. The key factors are getting sufficient blood glucose testing and being able to be both proactive and reactive, looking for patterns, and learning how to gain maximum flexibility with food, activity and insulin. Difficult work.

You should discuss this directly with your child's diabetes team since they will know individually how to best answer this type of question in specific rather than general terms. A lot will depend upon your own goals for your child, how the hemoglobin A1c levels are doing and whether or not there are still problems with unpredictable episodes of hypoglycemia especially nocturnal hypoglycemia.

Posted to Research: Other Research