From Shoreview, Minnesota, USA:

Since my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, my employer has begrudgingly allowed me to work the day shift with only an occasional half day on Saturday. This allowed me to properly monitor her blood sugar levels and keep her at least within a reasonable range. Now, since my direct supervisor has retired, the Operations Director is telling me she will no longer accommodate my schedule, and I will either work nights, weekends and six days a week when necessary, or I will be dismissed.

I know I have rights under the ADA but have been unable to find the information as to what I need to do to prevent my employer from interfering with the care of my daughter. Could you send me in the right direction?

I am afraid you will need the advice of an attorney licensed in your state who has expertise in employment law. While your daughter has rights under the Americans With Disabilities Act which might require an employer to make a reasonable accommodation, those rights do not extend to other family members -- not even to her sole caregiver. I would suggest that you consult an attorney. If you belong to a union, you should also seek their assistance.

Posted to Other Social Issues