Question:

From Hubbard, Ohio, USA:

Around this time last year, we had problems with my eight year old daughter urinating quite frequently.She went to the family doctor who said there was sugar in her urine, made her fast, and took her blood sugar which was 96 mg/dl [5.3 mmol/L], but she still had the sugar in her urine. We went to a urologist where she had all kind of tests done, but nothing came out of it, and now it's starting again. It seems to start happening when she becomes more active. Could this be diabetes? Why is it this time of year?

Answer:

Sugar in the urine is always abnormal and typically represents diabetes. There are a few other causes of sugar in the urine that can confuse the diagnosis -- but all need to be seen and evaluated by her physician to determine if there is indeed a problem. I would suggest a re-evaluation by your family's physician.