Question:

From Kennewick, Washington, USA:

My 49 year old brother, who has had type 2 diabetes for 11 years, has almost always had poor control and is now on insulin along with and oral medication (for less that a month). I am concerned about his lifespan because his youngest child is only eight. I worry the my brother will not even make until all his children have graduated from high school and hope you can supply me with some incentive that will do the trick.

Answer:

Poorly controlled type 2 diabetes can have an impact on survival. I would feel the same way about my family member who had uncontrolled type 2 diabetes.

[Editor's comment: There is little you can do other than to be supportive and encourage your brother to seek professional counselling in managing his diabetes. SS]