Question:

From Arizona, USA:

My daughter has been having problems for a few years with healing. She had her ears pierced as a baby, and for the last few years when we place earrings in her ears, they get infected and take months to heal. I know when she gets hurt or a cut it takes a long time to heal, and she also has mood swings. She can be calm and happy one minute and at the snap of the finger crying over a simple thing. Last night, a few hours after eating chocolate cake with frosting, my husband checked her blood sugar, and it was 390 mg/dl [21.7 mmol/L].

There is no family history except in older people, and my husband has type 2 controlled with diet. Could this be diabetes? Should I have my daughter seen as soon as possible?

Answer:

If your daughter indeed had a blood sugar of 390 mg/dl [21.7 mmol/L], she needs urgent attention. You need to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

[Editor's comment: There's the possibility of a complication called DKA [diabetic ketoacidosis] that is life-threatening, and hence the rush to have your daughter evaluated urgently.

Note: If she has vomiting or nausea and can't take fluids for any reason, it's a medical emergency and she should be taken to an emergency room for IV fluids at any time of the day or night! WWQ]