Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

Is there any computer program that can help me decide how many doses of insulin I should give my son based on his premeal blood glucose level, amount of carbohydrate in his meal, time of day, and activity level?

Answer:

I am unaware of any computer-based expert system that can be used to determine insulin dosing. The closest program might be AIDA, which is a software simulator of glucose-insulin action and can be downloaded free. The disclaimer for AIDA specifically states, however, that it is just a simulation and that any changes to your diabetes care should be discussed with your diabetes team.

JSH