Question:

From India

I am 27 years old, I am taking pre-mixed insulin twice per day, right now, my fasting blood sugar is 60 mg/dl [3.3 mmol/L], and injections are inconvenient for me. Is there any oral therapy for me?

Answer:

Even though I only know your age and your current insulin therapy, I doubt that you can take oral hypoglycemic agents instead of insulin. At your age, I think you most likely have type 1 diabetes. On that assumption, you might greatly benefit either in terms of blood sugar stability and/or flexibility in quality of life from using the new basal Lantus (insulin glargine). It's a very good insulin when used with Humalog or NovoLog at meal times. Ask your diabetes team for further help towards switching from the current regimen to this new one if already available in your country.