From Altona, New York, USA:

There is a full-time nurse at my eight year old son's public school, but I have been told that her day ends at 3:00 pm (by contract), and the extracurricular activities extend way beyond this time. Although there are guidelines in my state allowing for the administration of glucagon (but not insulin) by a non-licensed individual, the school has yet to identify any responsible individuals to handle these issues if my son were to stay after school.

I have not allowed him to participate in any after school activities so far, but this is not fair to him and not legal if I understand the laws correctly.The excuse I have heard so far is that all the teacher's contracts protect them from having to perform any medical procedure. It seems like I am caught in a vicious cycle of a law that protects my son and teacher contracts that prevent this law from being carried out. Any suggestions?

I would recommend that you contact a regional representative with the state education department or call the office of the Regional School and Community Services Assistant Commissioner and ask for the name and phone number of the regional representative.

Posted to School and Daycare