From South Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA:

I am experiencing unintended weight loss, and my blood sugars have been stable for at least a month with an average of 130 mg/dl [7.2 mmol/L]. Is insulin the only answer?

When you are losing weight because of poor blood sugar control, you need to improve your blood sugar control. If you are already using oral hypoglycemic agents and insulin is the next line of treatment, you need to use insulin.

The weight loss from poor blood sugar control leaves your body starved for nutrition. With the weight loss, you are losing muscle loss, in addition to fat. The insulin will promote fat and protein production. It will reestablish your strength. It is not prudent to avoid insulin in the face of poor blood sugar control that results in weight loss. Please contact your physician so that you can be treated.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2