Question:

I am a 38 year old male who has had type 1 diabetes for 35 years. I have retinopathy in both eyes, by so far no other major diabetic related problems. I do have a problem with maintaining my weight loss and know that this is due to high glucose amounts in my system. I did have an insulin pump, which may work for some, but did not for me. So I'm now injecting pre-mixed insulin twice a day, and my glucose levels have been a constant roller coaster ride throughout the last year.

I was hoping that you may be able to give me an example of the an exchange diet for a person on 2200 calories per day. I have lost over 20 pounds this year, and thanks to the sluggish economy, I was laid off and of course, with no insurance, I can't see my doctor. I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and now weigh 135 pounds, which is not making me feel or look very healthy. I would appreciate any advice you could give.

Answer:

It sounds like you need to be updated with both insulin and meal planning. We have been recommending carbohydrate counting instead of exchange diets since 1997. There may be a better insulin regimen for you as well with Lantus (insulin glargine) which is very long acting taken once daily along with Humalog or NovoLog before each meal using a insulin pen.

Taking a pre-mixed insulin twice daily rarely provides good control for someone with type 1 diabetes. Although you will need more injections with this new regimen, it actually simulates normal physiology and can give you much better results.

JS

[Editor's comment: See Financial Aid and Paying for Diabetes Expenses. WWQ]