I am a 38 year old male who has had type 1 diabetes for 35 years. I have retinopathy in both eyes, by so far no other major diabetic related problems. I do have a problem with maintaining my weight loss and know that this is due to high glucose amounts in my system. I did have an insulin pump, which may work for some, but did not for me. So I'm now injecting pre-mixed insulin twice a day, and my glucose levels have been a constant roller coaster ride throughout the last year.

I was hoping that you may be able to give me an example of the an exchange diet for a person on 2200 calories per day. I have lost over 20 pounds this year, and thanks to the sluggish economy, I was laid off and of course, with no insurance, I can't see my doctor. I am 5 feet 7 inches tall and now weigh 135 pounds, which is not making me feel or look very healthy. I would appreciate any advice you could give.

It sounds like you need to be updated with both insulin and meal planning. We have been recommending carbohydrate counting instead of exchange diets since 1997. There may be a better insulin regimen for you as well with Lantus (insulin glargine) which is very long acting taken once daily along with Humalog or NovoLog before each meal using a insulin pen.

Taking a pre-mixed insulin twice daily rarely provides good control for someone with type 1 diabetes. Although you will need more injections with this new regimen, it actually simulates normal physiology and can give you much better results.

[Editor's comment: See Financial Aid and Paying for Diabetes Expenses. WWQ]