From Tucson, Arizona, USA:

My five year old daughter has had type 1 diabetes for three years, and in the past few months, she has become emotional about having diabetes. She cries during her pump site change, saying "when do I not have to wear this?" She stares off into the distance in the car, and asks this same question out of the blue around kids who have become new friends and see her treatment. I can tell she is uncomfortable. She looks depressed when she knows she is different. What can I say to make my child feel better? Can you recommend any web sites/books to help with the emotional side of diabetes?

Insulin dependent Your daughter seems to really be struggling with both the emotional burden of diabetes and the burden of the daily regimen demands. It is important that you bring these concerns to your diabetes team. Please ask them for a referral to a psychologist or other mental health professional that has experience in working with young children with diabetes. If they do not have someone they refer to, then ask your pediatrician for a referral. The sooner your daughter receives professional help, the sooner she will feel better. sugar levels improve to normal or near-normal levels." href="/dictionary/h.htm#Honeymoon">honeymoon period. It has been proven that the better the insulin replacement, the longer this period could last. So for better control, especially in the coming years, it is suggested to continue the insulin therapy. Indeed, today the only reliable and efficacious therapy is based on the injection of insulin three or four times a day.

Posted to Behavior